- SRR’s 2nd Annual Bare Bones Memorial Day Weekend 5K held on Saturday, May 24, 2003 at Catawba College, saw a significant increase in participation – 129 runners/walkers, up from 77 the previous year. Milton Matheny of Kannapolis was overall winner with a time of 16:39 and Karen Levin, also of Kannapolis, was the first place female clocking in at 19:35. Several large bags of pre-owned running shoes were collected and donated to Rowan Medical Ministries.
- SRR worked two races in June 2003 — the Heritage Day 5K in Landis on Saturday, June 7th and the China Grove Challenge 5K on Friday night, June 27th. The Burned Children’s Fund reaped the proceeds from the Heritage race, and the China Grove Challenge contributed over $3,500 to the YMCA’s Invest In Youth Campaign. The China Grove Challenge had a challenge of its own on race night when lightning and rain surrounded the town for about 20 minutes prior to race time, but then diminished once the race got underway.
- Salisbury-Rowan Runners’ Relay for Life Team, headed by team member Jo Franklin, raised $2,960 in the fight against cancer. The event, originally scheduled for May 2 & 3 ( postponed when a violent storm ripped through the Rowan County Fair Grounds on kick-off night) took place on June 13 & 14. The team goal was $2,000.
- The 6th Annual Run/Walk for the Greenway 5K was held on Saturday, July 19 at Knox Middle School under the direction of SRR member, Steve Clark. 168 runners registered and the event raised $1,368 for the continuing construction of the Greenway.
- August 2003 was a month of rest for SRR, but then September proved to be very busy with SRR doing finish line and results for the 3rd Annual Catawba College Cross Country Invitational on September 13 at Dan Nicholas Park and the Salisbury High School Hornet Cross Country Invitational on September 20, also at Dan Nicholas Park. This was followed by our annual trip to the Pannabecker Lodge in Natural Bridge Station, Virginia the weekend of the Virginia 10-miler.
- Ten members received 1,000-mile Trophies and shirts at SRR’s annual Holiday Party and Awards Presentation held on December 6, 2003 at the Spencer Women’s Club. Three members, Alan Lawson, David Freeze and Rick Karampatsos received 2,000-mile trophies. Two more accomplishments followed before the year ended: the West Rowan Santa Run 5K on December 13 and the new Frostbite 5K in Kannapolis on December 20. 2003 proved to be a very successful year for Salisbury-Rowan Runners, with contributions to various charities exceeding any previous year.
2003 – Race Successes
Upcoming Calendar Events