- The Member of the Year Series was dissolved in February 2002 due to lack of interest/support.
- The North Carolina Lung Association made a decision not to continue with the annual 5K Lung Run. Also, the “going out of business” of Telespectrum, the major sponsor of the Run for the Greenway, also left the future of the Greenway run (usually held in July) in question.
- New officers for 2002-2003 were President: David Freeze; Vice President: Trudy Gale; Treasurer: Dan Roseman; Secretary: Judy Terrell; Membership Chair: Judy Zirt; Telephone Chair: Nancy Brandt; Board Members: Bob Zirt, Steve Clark, Molly Connor, Lewis Terrell, Rick Johnson, & Mark Alexander. Publicity Chair: Open.
- The 1st Annual Bare Bones Memorial Weekend 5K replaced the Run for Your Lungs 5K in May of 2002. The “Bare Bones” event was done without any major sponsors and used left-over trophies. Seventy-seven runners and walkers participated in the 5K which started on Summit Ave at Catawba College, ran through the neighborhoods around Catawba, across Statesville Blvd, in and around the VA Medical Center grounds and back, finishing at the same place on Summit. Salisbury’s Robert Miller was the male overall finisher with a time of 16:41, and Jennifer Vandiver of McLeansville lead the women with a time of 19:43.
- The Run/Walk for the Greenway went on in spite of the loss of the Telespectrum sponsorship. A field of 200 runners/walkers participated in the 5th annual 5K held at Knox Middle School on July 20, 2002. The weather was perfect, there were plenty of volunteers and things couldn’t have run smoother. Salisbury’s Robert Marchinko (age 31) took first place with a time of 15:22, followed by Anthony Nero (age 23) of Spencer at 16:06 and Robert Miller (30) of Salisbury at 16:14. Female winners were Terri Bradley (34) of Fayetteville with a time of 18:41, followed by Mary Neor (21) of Greensboro, 19:39 and Jennifer Vandiver (35) of McLeansville, 19:48. Proceeds from the event went to the Salisbury Greenway Project.
2002 – More Changes
Upcoming Calendar Events