- Winter Flight 2005, scheduled for Sunday, January 30th, had to be postponed due to snow. The Saturday afternoon prior to the race was spent by SRR members calling all the applicants to tell them of the new snow date. This was only the third time in 22 years that the winter race had to be rescheduled…once due to a measles outbreak and twice due to inclement weather. The event was rescheduled for Sunday, February 13th. The race was dedicated to the memory of SRR member Jo Ann Franklin who passed away on September 14, 2004. Overall winner of the Feb 13th race was Adam Lindsey (19) of Reidsville with a time of 27:43. Female winner was Julie Cox (27) of Winston-Salem with a time of 31:37. SRR’s Lynn Pitson (44) was the second overall female finisher with a time of 31:53 and SRR’s first male finisher was Gene Faller (35) who finished 3rd overall in 29:59. Winter Flight 2005 raised $10,680 for Godstock.
- Salisbury-Rowan Runners held its annual Bare Bones Memorial Weekend 5K at Knox Middle School on May 28th. 180 runners and walkers showed up to participate in this 5K run/walk which starts in front of Knox Middle School, travels along a portion of the Salisbury Greenway, in and around Eagle Heights neighborhood and then back to finish on the Knox track. Justin Sink took 1st place honors with a time of 16:37 and Alayna Levie was 1st place female with a time of 20:25. The weather was perfect for this 4th annual run/walk.
- Robert Miller (32) of Salisbury took first place in the Run/Walk for the Greenway held on July 16, 2005 with a time of 16:11. Mary Bertram (18) also of Salisbury was the overall female winner with a time of 19:37. The weather was clear and warm for the 161 runners/walkers that turned out for this 8th annual event. Most notable was the appearance of the morning crew from WSTP 1490 radio, Mark Brown and Howard Platt. Both were responding to a challenge made to them by SRR to come out and participate in their first 5K. Both were great sports as they took part in the event for charity, and SRR donated $100 to Mark’s favorite charity, Rowan Helping Ministries.
- SRR, in conjunction with Salisbury Parks and Recreation and the YMCA of Rowan County, held an eight week Beginning Runners Program in September-October 2005 at the Salisbury City Park. 14 new runners met Tuesday evenings for 30 minutes of classroom instruction followed by 30 minutes of jogging in the area around the City Park. Cost was $25 each and included a one-year membership in Salisbury-Rowan Runners Club, a club t-shirt, and entry fee for one SRR 5K race. Classroom instruction included topics on running shoes, running form, nutrition, injury prevention, strengthening/stretching, safety, etc.
- 40 club members/guests enjoyed dining and dancing at the Las Palmas Mexican Restaurant in Salisbury on December 3, 2005 for the Annual SRR Christmas Party and Awards Presentation. 18 members received awards for reaching mile goals in the 500, 1,000, and 2,000 Mile Clubs. 500 Mile winners were Bob Connor, Scotty Jordan, Susie Myers, Jo Anne Poplin, Robert Strider and Bob Zirt. 1,000 Mile winners were Brandon Asciutto, Molly Connor, Rick Johnson, Susan Moore, Wayne Peurifoy, Mike Simpson and A. T. Smith. 2,000 Mile winners were Steve Bradley, Bill Dusch, David Freeze and Eddie Frye.
Upcoming Calendar Events
Events in December 2023
|November 27, 2023||November 28, 2023||November 29, 2023||November 30, 2023||December 1, 2023||December 2, 2023(1 event)||December 3, 2023|
|December 4, 2023||December 5, 2023||December 6, 2023||December 7, 2023||December 8, 2023||December 9, 2023(1 event)||December 10, 2023|
|December 11, 2023||December 12, 2023||December 13, 2023||December 14, 2023||December 15, 2023||December 16, 2023||December 17, 2023|
|December 18, 2023||December 19, 2023||December 20, 2023||December 21, 2023||December 22, 2023||December 23, 2023||December 24, 2023|
|December 25, 2023||December 26, 2023||December 27, 2023||December 28, 2023||December 29, 2023||December 30, 2023||December 31, 2023|