- The weather was sunny and in the mid-40s for the 23rd annual Winter Flight 8K which differed from previous Winter Flights in two aspects. First, this year’s event was held on a Saturday morning (January 28, 2006) rather than the usual Sunday afternoon, and second, WF 2006 was one of only two North Carolina races to be among other RRCA State Championship events across the country. Lena Hollaman, the RRCA representative for North Carolina, was on hand to run the 8K and hand out State Championship trophies to the first male and female finishers. Brant Armentrout, (33) of Winston-Salem led the field of 276 runners/walkers with a time of 26:27 and Alison Holinka (27) of Elkin led the females with a time of 29:51. Both winners walked off with two 1st place trophies and a check for $100, sponsored by SideKick Karate. Holinka also won $25 for being the first female to reach the one-mile mark. Robert Miller (33) of Salisbury took home the $25 prize for being the first male to reach the one-mile mark and another $25 for being the first Rowan County finisher (26:40). Lynn Pitson (45) of Salisbury took the Rowan County prize with a time of 33:17. Donnie Lake (44) of Greensboro and Amy Mercer (40) of Lexington were male and female masters winners.
- July 6, 2006 – Longtime SRR member, Randy Ewing, took third place in Bocce, one of the oldest of all lawn bowling games in the National Special Olympics Track and Field events in Ames, Iowa. Randy hasn’t been able to compete in as many events since having brain tumor surgery in 1997. Nine years before that, Randy completed the New York Marathon in 4 hours and 50 minutes.
- Over 200 runners turned out for the Greenway 5K Run/Walk on Saturday, July 29, 2006. SRR member Robert Marchinko took first place in this 9th annual run.
- Club member Gene Faller completed his second Ironman in less than a year on September 10, 2006 in Wisconsin. He finished 327 overall with a time of 11:34:03.
- SRR’s second annual Adult Beginning Runners 6-week program was held in September adding 12 new members to the club roster. The coinciding after-school YMCA/SRR running program for kids also got underway with over 400 kids being served at 17 different sites.
- SRR Member Rick Karampatsos competed in his third marathon in three weeks (Twin Cities Marathon, ST. Paul, MN) on October 1, 2006 with a time of 2:38:22.
- Bill Shires’ time of 17:07 gave him top honors at the Santa Run 5K held on December 2, 2006 at West Rowan YMCA in Cleveland, N.C. Jennifer Vandiver was overall female winner with a time of 19:46. This was the 7th year for this SRR-assisted event which raises money for YMCA youth programs.
2006 SRR Members Place
Upcoming Calendar Events